Saturday, July 09, 2005

Postgres -> SQLite

I switched the OCAL server system I built to use SQLite instead of Postgres. Should make it much easier to setup and play with. Its available at http://developer.berlios.de/project/filelist.php?group_id=4098 under the "server" listing. The README forgets to mention that it requires the Python bindings to lilbxml2 also.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

DMS

So, I don't know as much Perl as I should. I've tried installing the new OCAL DMS using cpan, but got errors during compilation and testing. So instead, I built my own. I'm not sure if its something the OCAL people can use- there may be too much planning and momentum for DMS at this point- but it works. Its basically just a custom postgresql schema, which an xml-rpc server stuck in front for easier connectivity. At the very least, its helped me find some ways to implement boolean searching and given me some idea of what general API repositories that the client connects to should provide. The server depends on postgresql, python 2.4, libxml2, the libxml2 python bindings, and psycopg (including mxdatetime if you're using psycopg 1.x). So installing it takes some work, but isn't impossible (and, after all, you should only have to install it once). The only big concern I have with it is performance... postgres is slower than most other RDBMS's, and slower than whatever filesystem-based repository that I assume DMS uses. But if that's an issue, there are things that can be done (heh, heh, heh).

I'll try to get a tarball of my server system up to the development site tonight.

Sunday, July 03, 2005

First Post

I've been accepted for the Google Summer of Code. W00t! I'm pretty sure that my proposal- creating an interface to an online clipart repository- is the least technically interesting of any of the 410 that were accepted, but I'm not complaining. And the the fact that the completed project should be useful to lots of projects, not just Inkscape (my mentoring org) makes me feel better.

This blog will hopefully serve at least two purposes: providing a record of my technical progress and some pseudo-documentation on my project for other developers, and showing the world the Inkscape/OCAL developer community my invisible friend Jose what it's like to go from being a mere supporter of the free software movement to being an actual contributor. But in all likelyhood, it will probably just end up serving as the final, definitive proof that Google has too much money.

Anyway, I intend to release early and often both on here and on my SVN repository. Keep me honest.