Tuesday, July 05, 2005

DMS

So, I don't know as much Perl as I should. I've tried installing the new OCAL DMS using cpan, but got errors during compilation and testing. So instead, I built my own. I'm not sure if its something the OCAL people can use- there may be too much planning and momentum for DMS at this point- but it works. Its basically just a custom postgresql schema, which an xml-rpc server stuck in front for easier connectivity. At the very least, its helped me find some ways to implement boolean searching and given me some idea of what general API repositories that the client connects to should provide. The server depends on postgresql, python 2.4, libxml2, the libxml2 python bindings, and psycopg (including mxdatetime if you're using psycopg 1.x). So installing it takes some work, but isn't impossible (and, after all, you should only have to install it once). The only big concern I have with it is performance... postgres is slower than most other RDBMS's, and slower than whatever filesystem-based repository that I assume DMS uses. But if that's an issue, there are things that can be done (heh, heh, heh).

I'll try to get a tarball of my server system up to the development site tonight.

1 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Steve Austin said...

Informative blog. I have a xhtml tutorial blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home