Saturday, August 20, 2005

0.31

I've released version 0.31 of the Clip Art Navigator. Its available at http://download.berlios.de/ocalhelper/clipartnav-0.31.tar.gz

There's plenty of changes in this version, but the coolest, to me, is that I was able to drop the requirement for an embedded SQL database for indexing local clipart (before, I'd been trying both SQLite and Gadfly), instead just using Python's own built in datastructures and pickling format. The net result is no dependencies on 3rd party libraries (for the searching code... the interface still requires PyGTK, since the python devs refuse to drop, or even make plans to drop, the albatross of tk) and lightning-fast searching (at least, 5 times faster than SQLite by my benchmarks).

The major issues outstanding now are the awkward procedure for indexing local clipart (I need to make a GUI), copy-paste functionality, and, somehow, figuring out a sensible visual interface for browsing OCAL by category. This last one will be particularly troublesome, since I designed the Clip Art Navigator to search multiple repositories simultaneously, and that's difficult to recconcile with the metaphor of the single category tree provided by OCAL.

3 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger jordan said...

I really liked the information on your blog about sql database I have my own sql database exposedblog if you would like to come and see what I have on mine

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger jenna said...

I appreciate your information on sql database. I just bookmarked your site and will be back regulalry to keep on top of it. Please check out my blog on sql database exposed - I'd really appreciate it

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Smartie said...

Found a lot of useful info on your site about sql database - thank you. Haven't finished reading it yet but have bookmarked it so I don't lose it. I've just started a sql database blog myself if you'd like to stop by

 

Post a Comment

<< Home